Join George Maestri for an in-depth discussion in this video Create basic materials in cycles, part of Blender Essential Training.
- [Instructor] When we work in Cycles,…we will need to create…cycles-specific materials for our object,…so let's take a look at how to do that.…So, creating materials in Cycles…is very similar to how we would do it…in the Blender Renderer.…Now I'm gonna go ahead and set up my workspace here…a little bit better here.…I'm going to go into this User Perspective Window,…and I'm gonna turn on Wireframe,…just so I can see the objects that are selected.…And then in this larger Perspective Window,…I'm going to turn on Rendered.…
Now creating materials for Cycles…is pretty straight-forward,…all we have to do is go into the Materials Window here,…and select an object, so in this case…I'm gonna go ahead and Select the Plate.…Now once I have the plate selected,…all I have to do is just press New,…and it creates a new material.…Now as you can see, it gives me a preview of that material.…And down here we have the Attributes or Parameters…for that material.…
Now these parameters are a little bit less complex…than in the Blender Renderer,…
- Navigating in 3D space
- Selecting, rotating, and scaling objects
- Using Snap to move objects precisely
- Creating mesh primitives and extrusions
- Subdividing meshes
- Creating a simple creature
- Joining mesh objects and stitching vertices
- Organizing a scene with layers, groups, and hierarchies
- Assigning glossy and reflective materials to objects
- Creating bump maps
- Creating sky and ambient light
- Understanding ambient occlusion
- Adding motion blur and depth of field
- Editing animation in the Graph Editor
- Building and animating a simple character
Skill Level Beginner
Q: This course was updated on 8/12/2014. What changed?
A: We added a single movie on unwrapping objects, a technique that works differently in Blender 2.7. The rest of the instructions in the course work equally well with Blender 2.6 and Blender 2.7.
Q: This course was updated on 06/20/2017. What changed?
A: The following topic was updated: using the Node Editor.
1. The Blender Interface
2. Selecting and Translating Objects
4. Advanced Modeling
5. Staying Organized
6. Applying Materials
7. Adding Textures
8. Working with Light
9. Cameras and Rendering
10. Basic Animation
11. Character Rigging
12. Rendering in Cycles
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.