Join George Maestri for an in-depth discussion in this video Configuring user preferences, part of Blender Essential Training.
- [Instructor] As you start using Blender,…you may want to change your User Preferences…to make it interact differently,…so let's take a look at how to do that.…Now User Preferences can be found in one of two places,…we can find it here on the File menu,…or we can actually turn any editor…into a user preferences editor.…So if I click here, you see we have User Preferences,…and I can change it here,…well that's kind of a lot here,…so let's go ahead and just use the floating menu here.…
So I'm going to go into File, User Preferences,…and we have a number of tabs along the top.…So we have Interface,…which controls how we see Blender,…Editing, which controls how we edit objects,…Input, which controls hot keys and interactivity,…Add-ons, which shows all of the plugins into Blender.…So if you have third party plugins,…this is where you would manage them.…Themes, this is where we can control the color of Blender,…File Systems, this is where we can set up…our standard file pathing if we want to,…as well as systems.…
So let's take a look at some of these,…
- Navigating in 3D space
- Selecting, rotating, and scaling objects
- Using Snap to move objects precisely
- Creating mesh primitives and extrusions
- Subdividing meshes
- Creating a simple creature
- Joining mesh objects and stitching vertices
- Organizing a scene with layers, groups, and hierarchies
- Assigning glossy and reflective materials to objects
- Creating bump maps
- Creating sky and ambient light
- Understanding ambient occlusion
- Adding motion blur and depth of field
- Editing animation in the Graph Editor
- Building and animating a simple character
Skill Level Beginner
Q: This course was updated on 8/12/2014. What changed?
A: We added a single movie on unwrapping objects, a technique that works differently in Blender 2.7. The rest of the instructions in the course work equally well with Blender 2.6 and Blender 2.7.
Q: This course was updated on 06/20/2017. What changed?
A: The following topic was updated: using the Node Editor.
After Effects CC 2013 Essential Trainingwith Ian Robinson14h 51m Appropriate for all
Edge Animate Essential Trainingwith Chris Converse4h 44m Beginner
1. The Blender Interface
2. Selecting and Translating Objects
4. Advanced Modeling
5. Staying Organized
6. Applying Materials
7. Adding Textures
8. Working with Light
9. Cameras and Rendering
10. Basic Animation
11. Character Rigging
12. Rendering in Cycles
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.