Similar to panels, Blender expects very specific structures in order to create an add-on. In this video you will learn what these are and what the different settings mean. Ultimately, an add-on is a collection of classes containing specific functions that blender uses to run and plug into its interface.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
- [Voiceover] Now let's start creating our addon…by outlining the key components…in the structure in the text editor.…I'm gonna first change to the scripting view,…then create a new script, then increase the area…of this window slightly…by dragging the other windows around.…I'm also gonna enable word-wrapping.…In the Blender addon, there are three key areas…that you need to define.…One is the BL info, which acts as the…high-level information about the addon,…second area is the classes it defines,…such as the operators, panels, or appending,…and then there's the registration.…
Let's take a look at the BL info.…I'm gonna add a few more lines…and then type out BL-underscore-info.…Note that this is a dictionary object,…which has a number of key fields…that tells Blender how this addon…should be used and some key information about it.…The first one is the name of the addon,…which appears in the user interface.…In this case, I'm doing name, colon, "Add Smooth Monkey,"…all in quotes, comma, and then author in quotes,…colon, then the author name, comma.…
AuthorPatrick W. Crawford
- Controlling Blender with code
- Exploring the bpy library
- Creating Blender operators and properties
- Writing scripts
- Auto running scripts
- Drawing interface elements such as panels and menus
- Building a custom add-on
Skill Level Intermediate
Introduction to Data Analysis with Pythonwith Michele Vallisneri2h 16m Intermediate
1. Controlling Blender through Code
2. Create Blender Scripts
3. Customize Blender Interfaces
4. Build Your Own Add-On
Next steps1m 15s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.