When installing WordPress on your computer, you have multiple options. In this online video tutorial you'll learn about some of the options and how to pick the best one for you.
- [Voiceover] In this course I'll show you how to install and run WordPress both on a Windows computer and a Mac using the Bitnami application and development library. Bitnami is great because it provides a straightforward install process that installs, sets up, and configures WordPress and all other necessary services in one fell swoop. In my opinion, it's one of the easiest ways to get up and running with WordPress on your computer. Bitnami ships with Windows, Mac, and Linux installers and in this course I'll cover the Windows and Mac installers. Now, before I continue, I should point out that Bitnami is one of several different options for installing and running WordPress on your computer, all of which do the same thing in slightly different ways.
In the library you'll find a collection of courses in the Installing and Running WordPress series that covers some of these applications and other common installation situations. If you're looking for a more hands-on alternative you can check out WampServer for Windows and MAMP for Mac, or you can get WordPress focused single installer, like DesktopServer for all three platforms. Like I said, these applications do pretty much the same thing just in slightly different ways. So picking one is more a matter of preference than which one is actually best.
One reason you may want to choose Bitnami is its simplicity. Unlike some of the other solutions, Bitnami will generally work around any problems that arise as you set up your web server, and data base server, and so on. So the process is usually seamless.
Running WordPress in another way? Check out the other courses in this series.
- Installing and Running WordPress: MAMP
- Installing and Running WordPress: WAMP
- Installing and Running WordPress: WebMatrix
- What is Bitnami?
- Downloading the correct version of Bitnami
- Installing WordPress with Bitnami on Windows
- Installing WordPress with Bitnami on a Mac
- Using the Bitnami Manager
- Setting up WordPress as a Windows library
- Accessing WordPress and its files on Mac and Windows
- Troubleshooting your setup
- Moving a Bitnami WordPress site to the web