- [Voiceover] Let's look at the relationship now…between data science and statistics.…Now, data science and statistics…are sometimes seen as distinct fields,…and that can actually cause…some confusion among people…because a lot of people talk about them…as though they're completely unrelated…and non-overlapping fields.…And so maybe one way to think about the relationship…is that since data science requires statistics,…and you can't do data science without statistics,…maybe it's just a subdomain.…The procedures that data science uses…are shared with statistics.…
If true, data science is a subset…wholly enclosed within statistics,…and you might get this kind of diagram.…But if data science were just a subset of statistics,…then all data scientists would be…trained as statisticians,…and it'd just be a specialty within the field,…but we know that's not the case.…Let's take a look at a few elements.…First, training.…Most data scientists are not trained as statisticians.…They frequently have a background in computer science,…
- Assess the skills required for a career in data science.
- Evaluate different sources of data, including metrics and APIs.
- Explore data through graphs and statistics.
- Discover how data scientists use programming languages such as R, Python, and SQL.
- Assess the role of mathematics, such as algebra, in data science.
- Assess the role of applied statistics, such as confidence intervals, in data science.
- Assess the role of machine learning, such as artificial neural networks, in data science.
- Define the components of effective data visualization.
Skill Level Beginner
1. What Is Data Science?
2. Fields of Study
Ethical issues2m 39s
4. Data Sources
5. Data Exploration
8. Applied Statistics
9. Machine Learning
Next steps2m 17s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.