Join Scott Simpson for an in-depth discussion in this video Challenge: Make a script that generates a system report, part of Learning Bash Scripting.
…For this challenge, imagine that you've been…asked to create a script that outputs some…information about the system to the screen and saves some information to a text file.…Use variables, some string manipulation, some…text formatting, and some command substitution.…You'll also need to use redirection to get information into a file.…Of course, there's no right or wrong answer in this challenge.…But try to get a few different pieces…of information and display them in a nice way.…This should probably take you about 20 to 30 minutes.…Good luck.…
- What is Bash?
- Managing output with grep, awk, and cut
- Understanding Bash script syntax
- Creating a basic Bash script
- Displaying text with "echo"
- Working with numbers, strings, and arrays
- Reading and writing text files
- Working with loops
- Using functions
- Getting user input during execution
- Ensuring a response
Skill Level Beginner
1. Working with the Command Line
2. Building Bash Scripts
3. Control Structures
4. Interacting with the User
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.