Create a new Basecamp account.
- [Instructor] If you don't have a Basecamp account yet, signing up takes only a couple of steps. Here we are at the website for Basecamp.com. When you want to sign up, head up to the top right and click the Try it FREE button. That takes you to another screen where you're going to fill in your email address. In this case, I'm going to add the address for Brett Dolnichio from Two Trees Olive Oil. I've done this before so I can actually just click from the drop-down menu, but you would type in your email address.
Then go ahead and click the Sign up button. In order to setup an account, you just have to give Basecamp a couple of pieces of information. The first one is the company name. So I type that in the first box. Then in the second box where it says Your name, you guessed it, you type in your name. Though in this case, I'm going to add Brett Dolnichio. And while we're at it, let's add the job title.
So I'm going to type in Marketing Director. Of course, you need a password, so let's go to the Password box, and I'm going to type in the new password. Now let's scroll down a little bit more. The next section has this label... Do you have any of these teams at your company? Well let's talk about teams first. What a team is in Basecamp, and we'll talk about this later, is a place for people who have the same roles to go to collaborate.
In this case, I'm going to turn on the checkbox for Sales and Marketing, and Basecamp will setup these teams for me. The last section is about projects. For Two Trees Olive Oil, we have two projects going on that fit into a couple of these categories. I'm going to turn on the checkbox for Planning an event. What's the event? It's going to be an open house at the new store.
I type that in the box that shows up after I turn on the checkbox. And let's turn on the checkbox for Launching a new product. Then in the box that says Which product? I'm going to type in Coconut-olive combo oil launch. Now, at the very bottom of the screen, click the button OK, let's do this! You see a message from Basecamp CEO.
After you've read the message go down to the bottom right and click OK! Let's see my account. If you see a help banner up at the top, you can close that by clicking the X at the top right. Now we're at the Home page for the account. There's a box up at the top where you can jump to different things in the account. Let's take a look at what we see on this Home page screen. The first thing is the name of the company, Two Trees Olive Oil.
We see this card that says Two Tree Olive Oil HQ. The HQ is a place where you can put things that apply to the entire company and we'll talk about this in more detail later. Below that we have Teams. And you can see that there are cards for the two teams that we told Basecamp to setup... Marketing and Sales. There's also a sample team, Customer Support, and you can look at that to see how you might be able to use teams.
When scroll down, there's also a section for projects. In addition to a sample project, we have the two projects that we told Basecamp to create. Before we wrap up, let's go back up to the top. In this first section for the company, there's this box that says Add your logo. Let's go ahead and add the logo for Two Trees Olive Oil. I'm going to click that box and that opens up this Open dialog box.
And I have a logo for Two Trees Olive Oil. All I have to do is click that and then click Open. Then click Save. That's all you have to do to setup a new Basecamp account. Rememeber, you don't have to pay until the first 30 days are up.
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Choosing the right Basecamp and pricing plan
- Creating your account and a new project
- Creating teams and to-do lists
- Assigning and completing tasks
- Adding events to a project schedule
- Collaborating in real time with Campfire
- Posting messages and commenting
- Uploading, downloading, and replacing files
- Reviewing activity on the timeline
- Moving and copying content to a different project
- Renaming, archiving, deleting, and exporting
- Working with the mobile app for Basecamp 3
- Creating a template for future projects