Discover how we arrived at the point we're at today in digital marketing.
- In the summer of 1981,…IBM brought the world the first PC.…For as little as $1500, you could have a system…that came with about 50 kilobytes of memory,…that could hook up to your television, play some games,…and even process text.…With this, you could certainly argue…that the impending digital revolution was born.…Businesses began to take advantage…of this new, compact computing power in all sorts of ways,…but when it came to marketing, one of the first applications…was digitizing customer and prospect information.…
Many of us take this for granted today,…but a company called "Act!" was the first to do it…in the mid-1980s,…and their software gave rise…to the sales force automation platforms…that eventually turned into today's…customer relationship management systems.…On the consumer side, the early internet…had made its transition into the public space.…Building on networks like France's Minitel…and services like Prodigy, and later, America Online,…the first graphical web browser was created in 1993,…at the University of Illinois' NCSA labs.…
NOTE: While specific software and platforms aren't endorsed, you will see how tools like a customer relationship management system and web analytics work in a successful marketing mix.
- What is digital marketing?
- Understanding the marketing data being generated
- Reaching customers via digital channels like social, search, and display
- Working with digital experiences
- Selling online with ecommerce
- Going mobile
- Measuring and optimizing with testing and analytics
- Running and operating a business with technology
- Storing and extracting data
- Learning and predicting with data exploration and modeling