In this video, learn the how and why to encrypt Azure virtual machines, using the Microsoft recommended script followed by the PowerShell cmdlets to encrypt the virtual machines.
- [Instructor] In Azure, we have the ability…to secure our virtual machines and the disk.…When we encrypt our Azure Virtual Machines,…we're encrypting both the OS and data disk at rest.…Our Windows Virtual Machines are encrypted using BitLocker…and the Linux Virtual Machines are encrypted using dm-crypt.…And this process uses the Azure Key Vault.…But before you start encrypting all your virtual machines,…there are few things you need to be aware of.…First, we can only encrypt our standard virtual machines.…
Our basic virtual machines cannot be encrypted.…And only virtual machines that have been created…in the Azure Resource Manager…or ARM portal can be encrypted.…Your server has to be at least…a Server 2008 R2 and above to be encrypted.…And for those of you who are running…desktop clients in Azure,…only Windows 8 and Windows 10 clients can also be encrypted.…And this one's really important.…You must make sure your Key Vault and your virtual machines…are in the same region and in the same subscription.…
Again, Azure's all about planning…
Studying for Microsoft certification? Topics covered here map to objectives on exam 70-534, Architecting Microsoft Azure Solutions.
- Securing with managed identities
- Securing with hybrid identities
- Security with identity providers
- Identifying the right solution
- Designing a role-based Azure security solution
- Managing security risks