- [Instructor] Requirements and prerequisites. First, a few words about Azure or OMS workspaces. A workspace is essentially a container that includes account information and simple configuration information for the account. You or other members of your organization might use multiple workspaces to manage different sets of data that is collected from all or portions of your IT infrastructure. As a minimum, you'll have at least one workspace.
A workspace can provide, for example, a geographical location for data storage. We can perform backup and site recovery from different geographical areas to further enhance our overall site robustness. Granularity for billing. For example, in an organization that has branches in different countries, we may need to track payments and receipts differently. Data isolation. For example, we might need to have certain financial systems and the data they store locked down and separate from the rest of the corporate data.
And then there's scope for configuration. We might have different business units like educational organizations that need to be configured in a more open environment for learning. There are a few requirements and prerequisites for using OMS Azure management and security. If you're going to use Log analytics, there are a couple of things you'll need to do. Before you can use any of these things, you need to have an Azure subscription. At this time, you can test drive OMS by signing up for a free month of the service.
Beyond that, as mentioned earlier, you can subscribe and pay based on the particular service and node or numbers of nodes you wish to use for that service. Additionally, you may wish to combine your on-premise environment, including computers physically located in your offices and data centers, with Azure components in the cloud. Keep in mind that you do not have to do this, but doing so can enhance your ability to manage computers, systems and nodes across your entire organization.
In such a hybrid environment, to connect your on-premises computers to the OMS workspaces, you need to install the Microsoft Monitoring Agent, or MMA, on each computer system. The MMA needs to use TCP port 443 for various resources. For computers that do not have internet connectivity, you can use proxy or the OMS gateway. The OMS gateway, which is an HTTP forward proxy that supports HTTP tunneling using the HTTP connect command, and then collects data on those computers without internet connectivity and sends it on to the service.
- What is Operations Management Suite (OMS)?
- Deploying and configuring OMS
- Collecting and analyzing data
- Analyzing Log Analytics data
- Using OMS to monitor an on-premises environment
- Identifying critical updates
- IT Service Management Connector