Join Robert McMillen for an in-depth discussion in this video Intro to SCCM, part of Configuration Manager: Maintain Inventory and Operating Systems.
- [Instructor] Let's introduce System Center Configuration Manager and the Management Suite. System center configuration manager is a product of the Microsoft System Center Suite of Management Solutions. System Center Configuration Manager can help you manage devices and users both on premises and in the Cloud. Configuration manager can help you deliver more effective IT services by enabling secure and scalable software deployment, compliance settings management, and comprehensive asset management.
In this course we'll have many demonstrations of SCCM so you can understand how SCCM works and why we use it. So what is the System Center Suite? The suite is configured of many different applications and services. And the one we'll be using in this course is system center configuration manager. SCCM starts with the ability of imaging, or laying down the base operating system on a server or client system based on specific organizational guidelines.
Once the operating system has been installed, SCCM continually patches and updates the system as well as provides the ability to push out new software. System center operations manager monitors the ongoing health of the system as well as the applications installed on the system. Specific rules are created that track the normal operations of the system, and anytime the system falls out of those standards the organization's IT personnel are notified of the changes. System center virtual machine manager is all about hyper-V and virtual machines.
With it, you can create a new guest session using SCCM to a hyper-V or VM wearer virtual host. You can build out a brand new system and use DPM to automatically restore the latest backup of information all as a scripted disaster recovery process. Virtual machine manager can also transfer running physical servers to virtual ones. It can also copy application and data to a virtual server in an automated physical to virtual P to V conversion process.
System center data protection manager or DPM fits in as a backup solution. It can backup clients as well as servers, exchange databases, SharePoint data, or SQL databases on a continuous basis. Providing your organization the ability to recover a single lost or corrupted file all the way through restoring a completely dead system. System center service manager is an incident management and change control system that tightly integrates SCOM as CCM and VMM to take alerts, automatically log problems, take inventory and track system configurations so help desk personnel and support individuals have that information at their fingertips.
Service manager brings together management policies and processes as the umbrella under which other system center tools facilitate day to day tasks and procedures. System center endpoint protection manager is Microsoft's enterprise anti-malware system. With it you can schedule anti-virus scans and use it to be alerted of a virus outbreak. System center configuration manager has a unique ability to manage your devices. The system center suite is a collection of applications that include system center configuration manager and they work together to manage your infrastructure.
- Deploying and managing the Configuration Manager client
- Configuring and managing hardware inventory
- Reviewing Asset Intelligence reports
- Deploying operating systems
- Deploying software updates
- Configuring automatic deployment rules
- Managing Device Guard
- Configuring an Endpoint Protection site
- Setting up antimalware policies