Join Shaun Bryant for an in-depth discussion in this video Why use Express Tools?, part of AutoCAD: Express Tools Workflow.
- [Narrator] So you can see that we're staying in the 01_IntroExpressTools drawing. And you can see that we're in the same drawing that we used in the previous video where you can see your Lynda.com arc aligned text sitting there on the arc. So why would you use Express Tools? Why would you use them to make yourself more productive and more effective in AutoCAD? Well, we're staying in the same drawing, and you'll notice I've got a great big bit of text there that says "text". Now, you'll notice it's in capitals.
Now, imagine that you've got a load of drawings that you need to revise and edit, and you need to, obviously, convert them to uppercase or lowercase in the text side of things. So you might want to convert all of your uppercase text, in this case, to lowercase. Now, normally, to do that, you'd have to into the text, double click on the text, edit the text, change it, and so on. You don't have to do that. What you can do, in the Express Tools tab on the ribbon, is go into the Text panel, and click on this little fly out here, Modify Text. I can change the case of my text.
So, if I select this text here, like that, and I right click to confirm. I can now change it to toggle case, title, uppercase, lowercase or sentence case. Sentence case I love. If I click that, and okay that, there you go. I've got the capital at the beginning, and I've got the regular text in lowercase afterwards. So, if I go back to that again, let's do that one more time. Lets go back to change the case, and I select the text again. Right click to confirm it, lowercase, uppercase, if I go all lowercase now, it drops the capital t.
Now, that, to me, has to be one of the most productive, effective, little Express Tools in AutoCAD that you'll find. It just saves so much time. So, that's why you should use Express Tools in AutoCAD, because they one, save time, which makes you two, more productive. Three, it makes you a much, much more valuable commodity in your CAD environment. If you start utilizing these Express Tools, your boss might look at you and think, "Hey, this guy's really working with AutoCAD well." So remember that.
These tools make you a better, smarter AutoCAD user, which reflects in your work, reflects in your career, and so on.
- Using Explode Attributes, Replace Block, and List Properties
- Exporting and importing attributes
- Converting block to XREF
- Copying, extending, and trimming nested objects
- Working with Arc-Aligned Text and Modify Text
- Masking and unmasking text
- Modifying using Stretch Multiple and Extended Clip
- Changing layouts with Align Space, Synchronize Viewports, and Merge Layout
- Using Super Hatch
- Resetting text and modifying text
- Importing and exporting dimension styles
- Working with Xdata