In this video, Shaun Bryant explains why CAD drawings are imported and linked into Revit.
- [Instructor] So we're starting a new chapter now…in our AutoCAD course, preparing AutoCAD drawings for Revit,…and you'll notice that I've got Revit open.…Now this is Revit 2017.…And you can see there that I've got a Revit file open…at the top of the screen,…which is 01_office_receptionarea.rvt.…And we're currently in the 3D southeast isometric view.…So why would you link your AutoCAD 2D drawing file…into Revit in the first place?…Well, there's a simple solution here right in front of you.…
If I hover over this,…can you see there that blue outline?…If I hover over that,…that is a dwg file I've linked into my Revit model.…So if I select that like that,…you can see all of the CAD information there…in a flat, 2D drawing.…You can see the staircases,…the doors, the windows, the grid lines, et cetera.…Now if I just hit escape to deselect that,…and then come over here in the 3D view and zoom in,…what you can see here are Revit elements.…So what I've been able to place are things like…columns, doors, and walls.…
And all of those have come off of that flat, 2D plan.…
- Why link CAD drawings into Revit?
- Using a consistent layer naming philosophy
- Removing unwanted layers and properties with the PURGE command
- Annotation and dimensions
- Optimizing blocks in CAD drawings
- Using a linked CAD file to see changes
- Managing linked CAD drawings in Revit
- Generating a BIM model from a CAD file
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Introduction: Linking Drawings into Revit
2. CAD: Layer Management
3. CAD: Properties Management
4. CAD: Annotation and Dimensions
5. CAD: Optimizing Blocks in the CAD Drawing
Removing unneeded blocks3m 2s
6. Revit: Importing a CAD Drawing
7. Revit: Linking a CAD Drawing
8. Managing Linked CAD Drawings in Revit
9. Generating a BIM Model from a CAD File
Next steps1m 56s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.