Join Kacie Hultgren for an in-depth discussion in this video What you need to know before watching this course, part of 3D Printing a Scale Model with AutoCAD.
- This is an intermediate project so there are some things you should know before starting this course. First, you should be comfortable using AutoCAD. A basic level of proficiency in both 2D drafting and 3D modeling will help you make the most of this course. Want to work on your skills in 2D and 3D first? Check out titles like AutoCAD Essential Training or 3D Architectural Modeling with AutoCAD in the lynda.com library.
You'll also need a basic understanding of 3D printing and access to a desktop filament based 3D printer. Now I'll be using a MakerBot Replicator 2 for this course, but the workflow isn't specific to the MakerBot line of machines. Any desktop 3D printer that uses filament will work just fine for printing. Just be aware that you may need to make modifications to the design if your print volume is smaller. If you're new to 3D printing check out either of my 3D printing courses Up and Running with 3D Printing as well as Getting Started with MakerBot 3D Printers before starting this project course.
- Working in scale
- Extruding solids
- Working with blocks
- Creating terrain with lofting
- Adding 3D text and logos
- Converting mesh files to solids
- Breaking a model into pieces
- Exporting and optimizing for 3D printing