Join Shaun Bryant for an in-depth discussion in this video What is facilities management?, part of AutoCAD Facilities Management: Space Management.
- [Voiceover] So we're starting our AutoCad Facilities Management 102 Space Management course. And we're in the first chapter, and we're gonna be looking at an introduction to FM Facilities Management. Now, you should've already done the AutoCad Facilities Management 101 Areas course, so I'm gonna talk about more what is FM, and more importantly, what is space management? Now, space management is when you're managing your spaces, so these spaces are named, and have an allocated use.
So, what we're looking at now is the use of the space that we've already generated the areas for. Now, if you've done the Facilities Management 101 course, you will recognize the drawing in front of you. It's the 00_GND_FM_Intro.dwg file. It's the same building we used in the 101 course. It's an insurance company building, and they've bought an old residential property for their insurance company headquarters. And what we're doing is we are facilities managing that particular building.
So, I'm in the model tab, at the moment, and if I zoom in here, you can see there's the reception area, and as you can see, it's got the area, the polyline. It's also got the area value, and the name of that particular area, so we need to manage that particular space. Now, what we're going to do, as we go through this course, and look at FM with a space management slant, is we're gonna look at actually making sure that every single room in this particular ground floor plan is allocated an area, more importantly though, it has a space, and that space can be managed so that we can calculate the total space of all of the rooms and areas, all of the spaces, in essence, on this particular ground floor.
So we'll just double-click on the wheel there to zoom extents again. So that's basically what is FM, in a nutshell, when we're talking about space management. So let's move forward now, and start looking at how we can apply our facilities management drawing to the process of space management and beyond.
- Managing spaces with AutoCAD
- Setting up a facilities drawing
- Managing XREF layers
- Adjusting settings such as units, limits, and fills
- Creating polylines
- Defining space areas
- Annotating spaces
- Setting up a space table style
- Exporting space table data