Join Shaun Bryant for an in-depth discussion in this video What is annotation in AutoCAD?, part of AutoCAD: Effective Annotating.
- [Narrator] So what exactly is annotation in AutoCAD? Well annotation is anything that communicates your design intent in your AutoCAD drawings. So you'll notice we're in a new drawing which is 01introtoannotation.dwg, you can see the name of it at the top of the screen. If you logged into your account, you can at least download the exercise file to use it to follow along with the videos in this particular chapter. So as I said, what is annotation? So we're looking at a very, very simple drawing.
So you can see we've got a little boundary there, we've got a little poly line on the layer objects. We've got some hatching there as well. Hatching in a way is also annotation because it's highlighting your design intent. So for example this might be a section through a piece of metal that is that shape. And the hatching indicates that you're cutting through a section of that piece of metal. And the dimensions obviously give you the physical sizes of that particular piece of metal as well.
So dimensions are annotation, text is also annotation. If I jump down here to the layout tab, we've got an ISO A3 title block. I'm just going to zoom out slightly so that you can see if you look there, there's just some plain text there on the drawing and it is obviously the website www.lynda.com. Now obviously that's just describing where we're doing the course but that might be the title of the drawing, it might be the name of your company, it might be your name assigning ownership to the drawing.
That text can be used in any which way to communicate design intent as well. So for example, we've got room here on the title block for a notes column. We might have revisions and checked and approved and so on in the title block as well. All of that is annotation, so that's what annotation is, it's text, dimensions, perhaps hatching as well that communicates your design intent in your AutoCAD drawings.
- Setting up text, dimensioning, centerlines, leaders, and markup layers
- Setting up a multileader style
- Aligning multileaders
- Collecting multileaders
- Setting up the table style
- Working with cells in the AutoCAD table
Skill Level Beginner
1. Introduction to Annotation in AutoCAD
Why use annotation?3m 10s
2. Different Types of Annotation
3. Using Text Effectively in Your Drawings
4. Dimensioning Accurately in Your Drawings
5. Using Centerlines
6. Leaders and Multileaders
7. Setting Up an AutoCAD Table
8. Marking Up an AutoCAD Drawing
Next steps2m 4s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.