Join Scott Onstott for an in-depth discussion in this video Making a wraparound roof with 3D poly objects, part of AutoCAD: 3D Architectural Modeling.
- Let's create another wrap-around roof over here that goes around this corner of the tower. This time we'll do it in a different way. Zoom in here and change the ucs. Type ucs, enter. Y, enter, enter. Now the xy-plane is on the side of this roof. Draw a poly line around the perimeter of this edge. Type c for close.
Zoom out and pan over. Type m for move, l for last, enter, enter. Move the object that's selected from here down to here. Let's pan back over here and check it out. Ok, ucs, enter, enter. That re-sets the coordinate system so the xy-plane is one the ground. Draw a line along here, perpendicular to the edge.
Draw another line going this way, but type point xz, enter, at, enter. Then click right here. That tells us how far this roof will extend along this surface. Copy the profile over here. Then rotate it 90 degrees like that. Now, extrude this profile over here and extrude this profile through it.
Let's isolate this layer. We have two solids that are passing through each other. It's actually quite challenging to cut away just the pieces that you want to, to reveal the roof as it goes around the corner. Let's just keep it simple and explode everything. That turns these into regions. Let's explode everything a second time to turn it into a wire frame representation of lines.
Let's build up a new roof using a 3-D poly. Turn on snap, and snap to these points and type region last. Draw another 3-D poly. Make it into a region. Erase all this stuff except for these two regions.
Copy the two regions down one foot. Create a loft between each set. Then sculpt them together into a single, solid object. Change the layer to 3-D roof. Turn all the layers on and unhide anything that's hidden, if necessary.
Now we have our wrap-around roof made in an entirely different way.
- Arranging elevations and sections around a plan
- Rotating objects in 3D
- Extruding walls, interior partitions, and headers
- Building slabs
- Modeling doors, windows, and stairs
- Sculpting terrain
- Creating a second floor
- Building roof surfaces
- Sculpting watertight solids from surfaces
- Modeling a tower
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Cleaning Up 2D Drawings
2. Modeling the First Floor
3. Modeling Doors, Windows, and Stairs
4. Modeling Terrain Surfaces
Sculpting a sloping terrain4m 51s
5. Modeling the Second Floor
6. Completing the Second Floor and the Roof
7. Modeling the Tower
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.