In this video, Shaun Bryant demonstrates briefly how a CAD drawing is linked into Revit.
- [Instructor] So, here we are again in Revit,…and as you can see, we're in the recent files screen.…Now, what I'm going to show you this time…is how to link a CAD file into, again, a new Revit project.…Now, the reason I'm showing you two different videos here…is because when you import a CAD file…and when you link a CAD file are remarkably similar.…And I want to make a distinction between the two.…So, like we did in the previous video,…I'm going to jump over here to architectural template,…and that'll open up a nice, blank,…architectural Revit project.…
Now, I'm going to use the same DWG file.…That will be our office reception area file,…and I'm going to go to the insert tab here first on the ribbon.…And you'll notice now there's import CAD,…where I can import a CAD file.…If I link a CAD file,…let's hover over the link CAD icon a moment,…and a little flyout will pop up,…and it says linking is similar to having an XREF in AutoCAD.…An external reference file, an XREF.…When the original link file changes,…these changes are reflected in brackets, if possible,…
- Why link CAD drawings into Revit?
- Using a consistent layer naming philosophy
- Removing unwanted layers and properties with the PURGE command
- Annotation and dimensions
- Optimizing blocks in CAD drawings
- Using a linked CAD file to see changes
- Managing linked CAD drawings in Revit
- Generating a BIM model from a CAD file
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Introduction: Linking Drawings into Revit
2. CAD: Layer Management
3. CAD: Properties Management
4. CAD: Annotation and Dimensions
5. CAD: Optimizing Blocks in the CAD Drawing
Removing unneeded blocks3m 2s
6. Revit: Importing a CAD Drawing
7. Revit: Linking a CAD Drawing
8. Managing Linked CAD Drawings in Revit
9. Generating a BIM Model from a CAD File
Next steps1m 56s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.