Join Shaun Bryant for an in-depth discussion in this video Import Attributes, part of AutoCAD: Express Tools Workflow.
- [Narrator] We're staying in our 02_Blocks.dwg file and as you can see the drawing itself and the Block itself are unchanged. We've got the original work station block there. In the previous video we exported out our attributes to a txt file. I've still got that file open, it's down here in Windows File Explorer. And there it is there, the 02_Blocks.txt file. Now what we're going to do is we're going to import the attributes this time. So I'm going to right-click, Open with Windows Notepad.
And there's the Notepad text there. So what I'm going to do is I'm going to change the owner and the desk number and then save the file. So there's the owner there, so I'm going to change it to Bert Smith. So I just edit the text so it's now Bert Smith and the desk number I'll change that to 900. So I've edited the Workstation_RH, owner and desk number like so. So I got File and Save, I save those changes and I close that particular file. So that's been saved now and if I refresh here in the File Explorer, that'll update to the current time which at the moment is 1.34.
So I can minimize my File Explorer and come back into the drawing now, into my 02_Blocks.dwg and I want to import the attributes. So there's the 02_Blocks.txt. Note the times, 13.34, 1.34. I'll open that up, and you'll notice now. Look at that, been modified to D900, desk 900, owned now by Bert Smith. And that's how quick and easy it is to do this import export attributes. It's a really cool tool because you can work with just text with your attributes, and obviously that text can then update your blocks accordingly in your AutoCAD drawings.
- Using Explode Attributes, Replace Block, and List Properties
- Exporting and importing attributes
- Converting block to XREF
- Copying, extending, and trimming nested objects
- Working with Arc-Aligned Text and Modify Text
- Masking and unmasking text
- Modifying using Stretch Multiple and Extended Clip
- Changing layouts with Align Space, Synchronize Viewports, and Merge Layout
- Using Super Hatch
- Resetting text and modifying text
- Importing and exporting dimension styles
- Working with Xdata
Skill Level Intermediate
Optimizing Your AutoCAD Desktop to Go Mobilewith Shaun Bryant2h 28m Intermediate
1. Express Tools: What Are They?
Why use Express Tools?2m 13s
Next steps1m 20s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.