You can choose an import method in 3ds Max. Author Shaun Bryant explains which one is best for your drawing.
- [Instructor] Once again, we're back with our … AutoCAD DWG/DXF Import Options dialog box in 3ds Max. … Now, the previous video, … we talked about our units, sanity checking our units, … making sure they were doing what they should be doing. … We've done that now. … That's good. … We're moving down to the next section … in the dialog box which is "Derive AutoCAD Primitives by." … Now there's a big drop-down lost here. … There's lots of bits and pieces in there … that, obviously, might not mean anything to you. … The one that you need to use is … "Layer, With Blocks as Node Hierarchy," … because we're utilizing layers, our boundary polylines. … Remember we're on specific layers, and they're going to … be used as our sort of node hierarchy, so to speak. … What that means is when they're coming in … on layers as boundary polylines … we can utilize them in 3ds Max to make them … into our 3D elements that form our little building … in our 3D Studio Max scene. … You can see there's other sort of combinations …
- Preparing a 2D CAD drawing
- Saving the correct file type
- Creating new boundaries
- Working with existing CAD drawing and layers
- Setting up 3D layers
- Working with the units of a new drawing
- Setting display units in 3ds Max
- Importing, linking, and locating
- Extruding boundaries
- Preventing clashes
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Cleaning Up Your CAD Drawing
2. Setting Up New CAD Layers
A new layer for the 3D floor3m 18s
3. Creating New Polyline Boundaries
4. Saving Out as a New CAD Drawing
5. Setting Units for 3ds Max
6. Importing into 3ds Max
7. Extruding Wall Boundaries in 3ds Max
8. Extruding the Floor in the 3ds Max Scene
Next steps1m 38s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.