In this video, Shaun Bryant demonstrates how to add structural columns in the Revit model using information from the linked CAD file.
- [Instructor] We're staying in our 09_Office.rvt file…and we're in the 00-Ground Floor plan.…Now you can see that at the top of the screen…in the title bar, it's also in the project browser,…in the floor plans there.…Can you see the 00-Ground Floor is highlighted in bold?…Just remember, though, that your project browser…will normally be, by default, left-hand side of the screen,…towards the bottom.…Because I move my project browser to the right hand side…of the screen, as I've mentioned previously,…that's just the way I work in Revit.…
So in our 00-Ground Floor plan, and what we're going…to look at now is placing some structural columns…utilizing our linked CAD file information.…So just zoom and pan to the left-hand side…of the linked in CAD file, you can see it there.…And can you see the little squares it's showing…on the intersections there of our gridlines?…Now, those are columns.…Now, you'll notice that they're square columns.…And they are, potentially, concrete columns.…
Now it may be that there's been a change in the project,…
- Why link CAD drawings into Revit?
- Using a consistent layer naming philosophy
- Removing unwanted layers and properties with the PURGE command
- Annotation and dimensions
- Optimizing blocks in CAD drawings
- Using a linked CAD file to see changes
- Managing linked CAD drawings in Revit
- Generating a BIM model from a CAD file
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Introduction: Linking Drawings into Revit
2. CAD: Layer Management
3. CAD: Properties Management
4. CAD: Annotation and Dimensions
5. CAD: Optimizing Blocks in the CAD Drawing
Removing unneeded blocks3m 2s
6. Revit: Importing a CAD Drawing
7. Revit: Linking a CAD Drawing
8. Managing Linked CAD Drawings in Revit
9. Generating a BIM Model from a CAD File
Next steps1m 56s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.