Join Shaun Bryant for an in-depth discussion in this video Zooming via the shortcut menu, part of AutoCAD: Using the Command Line.
- We're staying in the 07_Navigating.dwg file and you'll find that in your Lynda.com Exercise Files. What we're going to look at now is zooming using only the Shortcut Menu in AutoCAD itself. Now the Shortcut Menu is the right-hand mouse click menu. It's known as the Right-Hand Mouse Button Shortcut Menu, so we just call it the Shortcut Menu for short. Nice and easy, if you'll pardon the pun. So it's a right-click anywhere on the screen with the mouse with no command selected, and there's my Shortcut Menu.
Now you can see that we do have some zoom functionality available to us on the Shortcut Menu, so you've got there Pan. If I click on Pan now, you can see that the little hand symbol appears, and if I hold down the left-hand mouse button and move the mouse, I can pan around the drawing, like so. Now if I release the left-hand mouse button and then right-click again, I'm still in Real-time Zoom, Real-time Pan mode, because the little hand symbol replaces the crosshairs.
If I right-click now, I've got Pan switched on, so let's go into Zoom, like so, and click on Zoom on the Shortcut Menu and now I've got a little magnifying glass. If I hold down the left-hand mouse button, now and move the mouse up, I zoom in, move the mouse down, I zoom out, like so. I can see a little plus and minus appear next to the crosshair, that's a neat little feature that you've got there, can you see on the magnifying glass, plus as I move up, minus as I move down. It's a nice new feature in AutoCAD 2016.
Now if I want to get out of this particular mode, it's just a right click and I can select Exit. But you'll also notice that I've got some of the regular Zoom commands, such as Zoom Window, Zoom Original, Zoom Extents. Zoom Original will take me back to the original zoom that I had when I first started zooming in the AutoCAD drawing. So if I click on Zoom Original, it takes me back to that original view there, I right-click and I Exit my Real-time Zoom settings and so on in my AutoCAD drawing. And that's how you use Zoom with the Shortcut Menu in AutoCAD 2016.
- Entering input with the keyboard and mouse
- Positioning the command line
- Hiding the command line
- Customizing command-line settings
- Typing commands
- Using dynamic input
- Navigating an AutoCAD drawing with the command line
- Using the function keys
- Entering coordinates