Discover how to work with Programmable Logic Controllers (PLCs) in AutoCAD Electrical. Learn how to specify where PLCs integrate into an electrical system, and use spreadsheets to exchange information with other systems.
- [Shaun] Welcome to this AutoCAD Electrical course where we're going to be working with PLCs, programmable logic controllers. Now these programmable logic controllers allow you to automate specific actions within an electrical circuit. So, for example, you might have a robot that is automated in doing industrial tasks. You're going to need that PLC, that programmable logic controller, to control what that robot's doing by way of electrical input.
We're going to be doing that in AutoCAD Electrical. And what we're going to do is teach you basically the place for PLCs, programmable logic controllers, but more importantly how to generate important drawings that have those PLCs in them. So you'll notice on the screen there's a typical PLC drawing there in AutoCAD Electrical. And you can see the PLC units are here. There's one here, and there's one here. And you can see they're all one object in AutoCAD Electrical.
That's because there are brilliant bits of functionality in AutoCAD Electrical that allow you to set these PLCs up. So let's just zoom in on one just to get an idea of what a PLC looks like in AutoCAD Electrical. And you can see there that it's got a number, and that's the AB, that's the manufacturer, there's the manufacturer's catalog number. And as you come down, you've got all the settings for all the switches and the controls within the PLC module itself. And each of these bits of text here is telling you what each of those little input switches does in the PLC.
So that's one of the benefits of AutoCAD Electrical. These PLCs can be created quickly and easily, and all of the relevant information can be displayed about the PLC in AutoCAD Electrical as well. So what we'll do in this course is get you working with AutoCAD Electrical, and working with PLCs in AutoCAD Electrical, to see what different types of PLCs and PLC drawings you can create in your AutoCAD Electrical software.
- PLCs in industrial automation
- Setting up ladders in electrical drawings
- Inserting PLCs into electrical drawings
- Working with parametric and full unit PLC models
- Choosing a manufacturer
- Using spreadsheets to import PLC module data
- Exporting spreadsheets from existing PLC modules