Scott demystifies surround sound conventions and how multi-channel audio works within professional sound design mixing. Attention is given to immersive audio for virtual reality.
- [Instructor] As early as Walt Disney's Fantasound system…in the late 1930s, filmmakers and sound designers…have recognized the ability of sound…to go beyond 2D or even 3D…to immerse and increase excitement for viewers.…But delivering surround system and immersive audio…involves a lot more than meets the eye.…Let's take a look at the components, challenges,…and achievements of surround sound…as we track surround sound developments over time.…By doing this, we can look forward to what's at stake…in the future of immersive and surround sound for video.…
First, let's talk about what is surround sound?…Surround sound is a multichannel audio system…that surrounds the viewer not just in front…but from multiple directions.…Surround extends the sound beyond mono and stereo,…which are conventional playback systems we might know…from our car or our home system.…And here we have the 5.1 convention.…And as you can see, there is a left front, a center,…a right front, and two surround channels behind those.…
There's also a dedicated LFE,…
Scott Hirsch starts with the basics, discussing the history and legacy of sound for film, and working through the core concepts and elements of a compelling sound design. Next, he takes you through a sound design workflow, highlights the different elements of a soundtrack, and shows professional examples of sound design in a few real-world projects. He also explores the future of the soundtrack, discussing the core concepts of immersive audio, as well as real-world applications of 3D audio.
- The history and legacy of sound for film
- The role of sound in visual media
- The elements of a soundtrack
- Following a sound design workflow
- Editing dialogue and producing sound
- The role of sound effects
- Mixing a soundtrack
- Exploring the future of sound for visual media
- Core concepts of immersive audio