Learn about the advantage of using RX over the built-in Audition repair tools.
- [Narrator] RX6 from iZotope is a suite of plugins and tools dedicated to repairing and restoring audio. To see all the plugins that come with this suite, go to your effects menu, down to VST3, restoration, iZotope and you'll find them all there. But before you go out and purchase RX6, I recommend that you first familiarize with the effects and tools already inside Adobe Audition. So if I go back to my effects menu, you'll find them all in the diagnostic section here, as well as the noise reduction and restoration category.
And these are capable of producing very professional results. If you'd like to know more about these effects, I recommend my Essential training course on Adobe Audition, which has a chapter dedicated to cleaning and repairing audio. One of the things I really like about working with RX6 is that all its plugins have really well designed and intuitive interfaces. To show you what I mean, I'll add an effect to this track here, so I'll go over to my effects rack, and in the first slot, I'll go back to that VST3 folder, restoration, iZotope, and I'll choose the declip effect here.
So you can see it's a very clean and simple layout, but it also gives me a lot of good feedback on what my audio is doing with the meters inside the plugin so if I just move this to the side, and I'm gonna play back some of my audio, and you'll see it'll actually tell me where this file is clipping in this meter here. - [Recorded Voice] So the process is we, I do, I... - [Narrator] Each plugin also has its own set of presets, which I find are really good starting points, and you can access them by clicking the presets manager button at the top here, and then choose the preset you want and click the button again to close that window.
And finally, if I go back to that effects menu where we saw all of the effects before, I should mention that all of these are actually available inside the multitrack editor, except for RX Connect at the top here. And what that means is you don't have to permanently change your audio files in the wave form editor as you do with a lot of the diagnostic and restoration tools inside of Adobe Audition. And while RX Connect is limited to the wave form editor, you can use it to access even more audio restoration tools in RX's own audio editing software, which we will be discussing alter in this chapter.
So if you are considering purchase iZotope RX6, it's a good idea to get to know what's already available inside of Adobe Audition first. You may find it's all you need. But if you're regularly repairing audio, or have some particularly bad sound issues you need to fix, then RX6 may save you a lot of time. For the rest of this chapter, I'll be discussing some of the common RX plugins I use. But for a more detailed course on the entire suite, I recommend, "Learning iZotope RX6" by Garrick Chow.
- Installing and managing plugins
- Repairing low-quality audio with iZotope RX
- Removing clicks and background noise
- Using plugins for creative sound design
- Mixing dialogue and music
- Outputting your mix with true peak limiting