Scott Hirsch explores the rerecording mix stage of a video soundtrack. He explores how different exhibition venues will affect mixing styles, as well as how engineers prepare for this.
- [Instructor] When a sound for video project is…completely edited and ready to re-record…or perform the final mix down,…it's important to first ask the question…where is the project going to be exhibited.…And that's an important question not just for aesthetics…but for actual volume level considerations…based on how and where the video will be watched.…Let's explore how the final mix might change…based on the different media and exhibition…the project will end up in.…So, to give you some examples of what I'm referring to…is the video meant to be played exclusively on the internet…via YouTube or Vimeo for example?…Or, will it have a life beyond the web for TV broadcast…or theatrical exhibition in a movie theater?…All these scenarios require different mix levels…and to some extent different mixing aesthetics.…
Not to mention, different multi-channel formats…with regard to surround sound mixing.…So there are two important tools that help mixers,…audio engineers that are mixing the film,…get levels correct for different playback systems.…
Scott Hirsch starts with the basics, discussing the history and legacy of sound for film, and working through the core concepts and elements of a compelling sound design. Next, he takes you through a sound design workflow, highlights the different elements of a soundtrack, and shows professional examples of sound design in a few real-world projects. He also explores the future of the soundtrack, discussing the core concepts of immersive audio, as well as real-world applications of 3D audio.
- The history and legacy of sound for film
- The role of sound in visual media
- The elements of a soundtrack
- Following a sound design workflow
- Editing dialogue and producing sound
- The role of sound effects
- Mixing a soundtrack
- Exploring the future of sound for visual media
- Core concepts of immersive audio