- View Offline
These techniques can be practiced with the free Get in the Mix sessions, currently available for Pro Tools and Logic Pro.
- What is reverb?
- Understanding how acoustic reverb works in rooms
- Working with the signal flow, effects loops, and available CPU resources
- Understanding core parameters, like reverb time and pre-delay
- Simulating space
- Creating nonlinear reverb
- Building pre-delay effects
- Using reverse reverb
- Using convolution correctly
Skill Level Appropriate for all
- I'm Alex Case. Welcome to Foundations of Audio: Reverb. From caves to cathedrals, amphitheatres to amplifiers, humans have used reverberation, or reverb, to augment sound and music for millennia. Whether it occurs naturally, designed into the architecture of a space, or is artificially manufactured in the studio, reverb is a special effect we find very appealing sonically. There are many types of reverb that produce a wide variety of sounds, and in this course, we'll look at the most common ones, as well as some of the more advanced reverb effects.
(pop reverb effect) I'll start by covering the fundamentals of reverb, including the devices that make it and how they work. Then I'll break down the common controls over reverb effect showing you how to set the Reverb Time, pre-delay, wet dry mix, diffusion, density, and other parameters. I'll demonstrate how to use digital Reverbs to simulate realistic space on your studio tracks. (pop reverb effect) I'll then explain how to use springs, plates, and chambers to modify the timbre of your tracks.
We'll take a look at how convolution Reverbs work so that there's no mystery even with the newest reverb technology to hit our studio. (drum beat) I'll show you how to use gates on your reverb returns and your room tracks for that obvious '80s flair or for more subtle track enhancement. Throughout this course I'll also provide you with guided exercise content in the form of Get in the Mix demonstration sessions that you can open up in your own digital audio workstation. Watch the video about Getting the Mix content to learn more about this unique learning experience.
Now, join me in this high-end professional recording studio as we continue the Foundations of Audio Series with Foundations of Audio: Reverb.