Join Eduardo Angel for an in-depth discussion in this video Working with a composer, part of Video Post Production for Low-Budget Films.
- In cinema, music can be used…very much as a color, or like a filter…that tints the story with different shades.…(playful instrumental music)…If you ever have the opportunity…to work with a talented composer,…it's truly and absolutely amazing to see…how they can enhance your vision with sound.…A common mistake I see, especially…with young filmmakers, is a heavy-handed…use of music.…
The soundtrack of the piece should…complement the piece, not dominate it,…and a skilled composer can do just that.…It is the director's and the producer's role…to provide a very clear vision about what they want…the music to do.…- For a lot of directors, music is kind of this,…kind of foreign world.…That they know what sounds good to them…and what they like, but it can be difficult…to talk about it in really specific terms.…- Right.…- So what I love is educating directors…about how to speak about music.…
And then ultimately building a language with them…and helping them realize their vision.…Usually, the best working conditions…for a composer is to have a certain guidance…
Emmy-winning director Eduardo Angel knows filmmakers can be overwhelmed by the amount of post-production options. In this course, he takes you behind the scenes, sharing insights to help you maximize your post-production process while minimizing the impact to your budget. Eduardo focuses on the essential post-production steps and how to implement technical and creative solutions that help accomplish your vision. He shows you an entire post-production process, including planning, editing your film, working with a composer, adding audio, working with color, and distributing your project.
- Selecting an NLE (nonlinear editor)
- Preparing assets for editing
- Storing and backing up your files
- Evaluating scenes and takes to make selections
- Fine-tuning the edit
- Enhancing the story with audio
- Working with a composer
- Finishing the piece with color grading
- Distributing your project