Join Eduardo Angel for an in-depth discussion in this video Using cuts to establish tension and increase drama, part of Video Post Production for Low-Budget Films.
- The environment of our short film…is defined by tension and anxiety.…We establish this through a variety of techniques:…composition, lighting, sound design,…even the props.…But arguably, the most important tool…for building suspense is the editing.…As we began to discuss in previous chapters,…adjusting the pacing of your editing…is an important tool in integrating suspense…into your film.…
A fantastic editing lesson can be learned…by looking back at the work…of the Soviet filmmaker, Lev Kuleshov.…As an early cinematic experiment,…he caught the same blank…facial expression of an actor…with a variety of images:…soup, a coffin, and a woman.…The experiment show that our…emotional responses to the images…forced us to project emotion…on to the actor's indifferent face.…In other words, suddenly, the actor is hungry,…grieving,…and then, lustful.…
When editing your own work,…remember this example as a reminder of…how easily the viewer can be manipulated.…It is important to remember that…every edit you make should pose a question,…
Emmy-winning director Eduardo Angel knows filmmakers can be overwhelmed by the amount of post-production options. In this course, he takes you behind the scenes, sharing insights to help you maximize your post-production process while minimizing the impact to your budget. Eduardo focuses on the essential post-production steps and how to implement technical and creative solutions that help accomplish your vision. He shows you an entire post-production process, including planning, editing your film, working with a composer, adding audio, working with color, and distributing your project.
- Selecting an NLE (nonlinear editor)
- Preparing assets for editing
- Storing and backing up your files
- Evaluating scenes and takes to make selections
- Fine-tuning the edit
- Enhancing the story with audio
- Working with a composer
- Finishing the piece with color grading
- Distributing your project