In Part 1 of this lesson, Mike goes over the importance of, and how to get a good sound using the right hand. He says that many times people do not pay much attention to their right hand technique because the left hand is so flashy, but the majority of the tone comes from what the right hand.
- All right, let's talk about the right hand.…The right hand is everything, folks.…I can't say enough about it.…I worked my whole life on it…and every day I examine it and see what's going on.…And when I think of the greatest players I know,…I think about their right hand and the tone they get.…And all your sound comes from your right hand.…We'll often see a lot of mandolin players,…all of us do,…where we're totally focused on the left hand.…And there's some little problem in a musical line.…More times than not, it's the right hand…that's causing the problems…or is not quite negotiating…in and out of the strings properly.…
Also, it's your voice.…It's the rhythm, too.…If you're in time or not in time.…It's probably because of the right hand…hitting at the wrong time.…So I encourage you to spend as much time as you can…staring at that rather than at that.…(laughs)…So, I'm gonna break it down now into as many bits as I can.…So that you can get a sense of what I'm doing.…Going back to our basic posture,…because it affects how the right hand hits…
Note: This course is one of a 4-part series created and produced by ArtistWorks. We are honored to host this training in our library.
- Sitting and standing with the mandolin
- Tuning a mandolin
- Positioning the right and left hands
- Strumming open chords
- Playing two-finger chords and melodies
- Playing beginner mandolin tunes
- Finding minor and moveable chords
- Playing 7th chords
- Playing chop chords
- Picking on the mandolin
Skill Level Beginner
1. Getting Started
2. Right and Left Hand Fundamentals
3. Beginner Mandolin Tunes
4. Theory and Exercises
5. Chops and Picking
ArtistWorks and Next Steps1m 15s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.