Unlike other instruments such as a guitar, the singing voice is an instrument that is internal to our bodies and "hidden." With this in mind, Lari explores how to care for your instrument, and how to get the most out of your hidden treasure.
- I call this lesson The Hidden Treasure because it…is about the fact that your instrument…is unique in the scope of musical instruments,…because it is literally hidden inside your body.…As a singer, you can't touch, or hold,…or see your instrument.…You can only feel it from the inside out,…and that is a huge world of…unique things that you have to think about…and pay attention to,…relative to other musicians.…
If you're a guitar player, you know,…your instrument is valuable to you,…you go to great lengths to protect it and take care of it,…you buy a case for it to protect it,…you don't leave it out on the porch,…you take it into the air conditioned theater…so it can acclimate before you play it,…and you only use your guitar for playing music.…You don't use it as a hammer to put up a show poster,…or as a weapon, unless you're…beating off your rabid fans.…
So you're very careful with your instrument.…You use it only for the purpose of making music,…and you protect it, you take care of it.…Singers, your instrument is this mysterious thing…
Note: This course was recorded and produced by ArtistWorks. We're pleased to host this training in our library.
- The history of singing in human culture
- Reviewing the key ingredients needed to be ready to sing
- Understanding your vocal instrument
- Caring for your voice
- Building core strength
- Developing the correct mental approach to singing
- Key terms and vocabulary of the music language
- Using a piano to find the right key