According to songwriting pro, Cliff Goldmacher, there are a variety of ways to find title ideas for your songs, including going to bookstores, reviewing a book of title ideas, and co-writing.
- [Instructor] So let's begin at the very beginning. When it comes to the craft of songwriting, one of the first problems you might encounter is a lack of title ideas. The good news is there are lots of ways to go about finding title ideas. One of the first things that I would recommend is going to a bookstore. This was a tip that a hit songwriter friend of mine told me about years ago. And there are a couple of reasons for this. First of all, you can't copyright a title, so any title you see in a bookstore is open game when it comes to making it a title of one of your songs.
So, if you can't think of a title idea or even a topic to write about, take a break, go take a walk around a bookstore, and you will be amazed at the number of book titles that sort of point towards great song ideas as well. Another way of finding great song titles is to do what I call sort of your pre-work, which is every morning no matter what, get up and write down a song title. It doesn't have to be a genius level title. You just have to get in the habit of writing a title down every day in a small loose leaf binder or something like that.
What I have found is that then if you're stuck for ideas, you can just sort of flip through that binder which at the time may have 20, 30, 40, 50 ideas in it, and something is going to resonate for that day. And another way great to unstick yourself when it comes to title ideas or really any songwriting concepts is to co-write. The beauty of collaboration is generally speaking, with a good collaboration, and you'll find your collaborators that you work best with as you continue to co-write, when you're down in one area, your co-writer might be up in that area.
So, for example, if you don't have any song title ideas, your co-writer most likely will. So, that's another way to make sure that you can get unstuck when you're looking for title ideas. So, when it comes to looking for title ideas, going to a bookstore, looking through your collection of song titles, or co-writing are all ways to get yourself unstuck when it comes to titles.
- Finding title ideas for your songs
- Determining if your song is finished
- Making your songs unique
- Finding the time to write
- Pitching your songs
- Pros and cons of publishing deals
- Networking for introverts
- Finding the right studio team for your demo
- Pitching your song demos to film and TV