Yodeling is a form of singing which involves repeated and rapid changes of pitch between the low-pitch chest register (or "chest voice") and the high-pitch head register (or falsetto). Cries are an emotional expression added to your delivery. A fun singalong exercise is included here, and there are several backing tracks provided to practice with.
- A great tool to have in your toolbox as a singer is…yodels and cries.…This is just a wide spectrum of possibilities…for giving some emotion,…adding some emotion to your song,…to your melody and your performance.…A couple great artists to listen to, classic yodelers,…Patsy Montana, you should check out "Cowboy Sweetheart".…And Jimmie Rodgers, "Brakeman's Blues".…
Those are great examples of authentic yodelers.…And cries, you can hear cries everywhere.…In country music, in pop music,…those (cries).…All those little sounds that happen at the beginning…or the ends of words or phrases that really…give you that sense of angst and passion.…We're going to work a little bit with yodels first.…You can hear a very clear contrast…between your chest voice and your falsetto,…or your head voice,…depending on…how high up you're popping the yodel.…
But you can really…hear that you're using these two different voices,…or resonances, when you yodel.…In fact, that's part of the thing.…That's part of the appeal of these sounds…is creating this intentionally dramatic difference…
Note: This course was recorded and produced by ArtistWorks. We're pleased to host this training in our library.
- Singing harmony and straight tone
- Crafting your vocal tone
- Using vibrato and messa di voce
- Working with the chest and head voice
- Singing in a low or high register
- Selecting a microphone for live performance and recording
- Understanding the Nashville Number System
Skill Level Beginner
1. Singing Harmony and Straight Tone
2. Crafting Your Vocal Tone
3. Working with the Chest and Head Voice
4. Exploring Vocal Textures and Styles
5. Singing Live
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.