Join Cliff Goldmacher for an in-depth discussion in this video Write a song based on the structure of one of your favorites, part of One-Minute Songwriting Tips.
- Write a song based on the structure…of one of your favorites.…Understanding song structure is an essential part…of good songwriting.…Why not learn from the masters?…This isn't plagiarism, I'm simply suggesting…that you reference songs that you love…that have already been successful,…and understand what makes them work.…Listen to hit songs and figure out…how they're segmenting these songs,…and then write a song with the same structure.…It's excellent practice.…When I was early in my career, I went through…about five years where I was doing what I like to refer to…as playing Brown Eyed Girl for drunk people.…
In other words, playing cover songs in bars,…and inadvertently, I was learning…what makes great songs work.…So when it came time for me to start writing my own songs,…I had a fundamental understanding of good song structure.…
Listen to the songs Cliff references in the course by subscribing to his Spotify playlist, Cliff's Weekly Songwriting Tips.
- Writing lyrics that are easy to sing
- Putting the message in the chorus
- Being productive at home
- Putting the hook at the end of the chorus
- Keeping rhyme schemes consistent
- Using repetition in melodies
- Making rough recordings
- Reading poetry for inspiration
- Writing at a regular time
- Taking a writing assignment
- Cutting down a song's length
Skill Level Beginner
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.