Modal register is the register in your voice that's closest to your speaking voice, and it's where you spend the most time vocalizing. In this video, explore the changes in tone as you move through your registers, and identify where the breaks happen. Exercises are given that can help you make personal discoveries in your modal range by exploring singing in both head and chest registers.
- Let's play around with our head voice now.…We've done a little bit of experimenting…and listening and playing with our chest voice,…and this is a single register…with two modes of resonance really…is how we should think about it.…Our modal register is our speaking register.…Our chest voice is the part of our…speaking register that we sing in…with a particular kind of resonance or placement…that sounds like it's more coming from our chest.…
We're using the same register for head voice,…but we're shaping the tone differently…so it sounds different.…I'm going to sing a G above middle C…first in my chest voice just full chest register voice,…and then I'm going to shift the resonance slightly…to put it in my head voice.…♫ Ah…That's chest…♫ Ah…Lots of power, lots of clear, pure tone,…but with a little bit of an edge.…
♫ Ah…Now I'm going to sing that same note…also in my modal register, my speaking register,…but I'm going to shift the resonance…to put it in my head voice.…♫ Ah…♫ Ah…Same note, little softer tone.…Our perception of head voice is that…
Note: This course was recorded and produced by ArtistWorks. We're pleased to host this training in our library.
- Singing harmony and straight tone
- Crafting your vocal tone
- Using vibrato and messa di voce
- Working with the chest and head voice
- Singing in a low or high register
- Selecting a microphone for live performance and recording
- Understanding the Nashville Number System
Skill Level Beginner
1. Singing Harmony and Straight Tone
2. Crafting Your Vocal Tone
3. Working with the Chest and Head Voice
4. Exploring Vocal Textures and Styles
5. Singing Live
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.