Join Cliff Goldmacher for an in-depth discussion in this video When in doubt, say less, part of One-Minute Songwriting Tips.
- When in doubt, say less.…We have a tendency as songwriters to want…to say everything in our songs.…Often, I've found that it's better to say the bare minimum,…and let the simplicity of your approach…create the power in your message.…The example that comes to mind over and over again…is the old Motown hit, "My Girl."…There is absolutely nothing to that song,…the entire chorus is, I guess you'll say…what can make me feel this way, my girl.…
And the verses are almost that short, too.…So remember, get in, say what you need to say, and get out.…
Listen to the songs Cliff references in the course by subscribing to his Spotify playlist, Cliff's Weekly Songwriting Tips.
- Writing lyrics that are easy to sing
- Putting the message in the chorus
- Being productive at home
- Putting the hook at the end of the chorus
- Keeping rhyme schemes consistent
- Using repetition in melodies
- Making rough recordings
- Reading poetry for inspiration
- Writing at a regular time
- Taking a writing assignment
- Cutting down a song's length
Skill Level Beginner
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.