Learn how to select a microphone to suit your vocal style and needs for live performance and recording. Lari explains—and shows through visual aids—how the different types of common microphones work, and helps inform your choice in selecting the right kind for you.
- Back in the studio here.…Wanted to spend a few lessons talking about microphones…for live vocal applications.…So this is if you've got a gig somewhere,…if you're playing with a band or even a solo job…or a solo to tracks.…Anytime you're performing live with a microphone on stage.…And the features of a microphone…that you would be interested in as a vocalist…in case you want to get your own microphone.…
What kind of features would you be looking for…for your own microphone?…You can buy really good vocal performance microphones,…microphones that are very good for live singing applications…for not a lot of money.…For $99 to $149, you can get kind of the workhorse…of microphones, the tried and true microphones…that are used on stages all over the world every single day.…They have over the years gotten more and more robust,…hardier, so that you can really drag them around…and travel with them.…
But there are certain features that you want to look for…in a vocal microphone and know what you're looking for…when you look at the materials…
Note: This course was recorded and produced by ArtistWorks. We're pleased to host this training in our library.
- Singing harmony and straight tone
- Crafting your vocal tone
- Using vibrato and messa di voce
- Working with the chest and head voice
- Singing in a low or high register
- Selecting a microphone for live performance and recording
- Understanding the Nashville Number System