A Capo is an external device that clips or locks onto your banjo neck to shorten the string length and raise the key you're playing in without changing the fingering shapes in the left hand that you are familiar with. This is commonly used when accomodating singers that need a song to be in a higher range. Tony will walk you through how to use the device along with tips to get the best use out of it.
- Some people like to use a fifth string capo,…which is a metal bar that goes along the side here…and is a little metal piece that slides along it…and you can tighten up the little screw on the side.…Let me get off this for a second.…And you bring it to the seventh fret…and then tighten the screw on the side.…Or you can do B flat if you go up a half step,…or one more fret higher…to the seventh fret here, for B.…Or one more to C.…And in a way, it's very easy,…because it just slides right along,…and you just tighten it down…wherever you want to place it…and you're not drilling holes in the…fingerboard here, but along the side,…you put a couple of holes along the side…to drill in the fifth string capo.…
A lot of people use this.…Personally, I don't care for it…because it's extra stuff you have to do…to bring your thumb around like this…because there's this metal bar here.…And also because sometimes the Scruggs…back up you'll have your thumb…wrapped around the fifth string.…And with that bar there, it's a little bit tricky.…
Note: This course was recorded and produced by ArtistWorks. We are honored to host this training in our library.
- Separating notes
- Playing with others
- Using the capo
- Playing hammer-ons and pull-offs
- Playing variations on classic tunes
- Minding your posture
- Training your ear
- Building speed
Skill Level Beginner
1. Playing with Others
2. Basic Embellishments
3. Variations on Basic Tunes
4. Posture and Ear Training
5. Playing Up the Neck and Building Speed
ArtistWorks and Next Steps1m 15s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.