A Capo is an external device that clips or locks onto your banjo neck to shorten the string length and raise the key you're playing in without changing the fingering shapes in the left hand that you are familiar with. This is commonly used when accomodating singers that need a song to be in a higher range. Tony will walk you through how to use the device along with tips to get the best use out of it.
- After you've been playing awhile,…and particularly when you start playing with other people,…you'll find that it's a very important thing…to start using a capo.…In other words, banjo players…are always playing in G, 'cause…(strumming banjo)…everything is in G.…And hopefully, even though you're probably…at the more beginning level,…you're starting to think about…playing in the key of C,…but the thing is,…what if you want to play in the key of A?…Playing in the key of A without a capo…is something that you're not gonna have to worry about…for a while yet.…
In fact, you never have to worry about it…if you have the capo.…There are many different kinds of capos.…Some kind of have a spring-action…that kind of you squeeze it…and place it on the fret.…This one here is,…in fact I'll just take this off for a second,…and hold it up for the camera.…And this is a kind that I like…because it fits right at the end of the neck,…right up by the headstock,…and this little thing comes down…and clamps on over the strings.…So this is what it looks like here.…
Note: This course was recorded and produced by ArtistWorks. We are honored to host this training in our library.
- Separating notes
- Playing with others
- Using the capo
- Playing hammer-ons and pull-offs
- Playing variations on classic tunes
- Minding your posture
- Training your ear
- Building speed
Skill Level Beginner
1. Playing with Others
2. Basic Embellishments
3. Variations on Basic Tunes
4. Posture and Ear Training
5. Playing Up the Neck and Building Speed
ArtistWorks and Next Steps1m 15s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.