Tony helps to expand the territory on the fretboard comfortably with some lessons on playing up the neck. We learned a few basic versions of the Bluegrass tune "Boil Them Cabbage Down" in earlier lessons and now Tony takes it even further by teaching a variation played up the neck, pushing into new territory on the fretboard.
- We've had a little bit of experience going up the neck…meaning going up this way with the tune…called The Water Mill, we did that earlier…but now we're going to get a little more into…going up the neck because…it's gonna keep things interesting.…If you can do something down here,…it's nice to try to do it up here as well…and we're going to try a little bit of this…with a couple of tunes starting with Boil Them Cabbage Down.…So I'll play it, Boil Them Cabbage Down, down the neck…and now I consider this to be down the neck…because you're going down to the lower frets…and lower sounds, lower notes.…
Earl Scruggs, when I was talking to him one time…referred to going to the 21st fret,…so I think for Earl he considers this to be down…because if your neck is up a little bit like this…physically you are going down…but for all intents and purposes with this website here…we're going to be going down the neck that way.…So I'll play little bit of Boil Them Cabbage Down…down the neck and then up the neck.…(banjo music)…Okay, let's analyze what's going on…
Note: This course was recorded and produced by ArtistWorks. We are honored to host this training in our library.
- Separating notes
- Playing with others
- Using the capo
- Playing hammer-ons and pull-offs
- Playing variations on classic tunes
- Minding your posture
- Training your ear
- Building speed
Skill Level Beginner
1. Playing with Others
2. Basic Embellishments
3. Variations on Basic Tunes
4. Posture and Ear Training
5. Playing Up the Neck and Building Speed
ArtistWorks and Next Steps1m 15s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.