An expanded intermediate version of Turkey in the Straw that will help develop comfort playing longer streams of 8th notes and embellishing the basic melody. Tablature and Backing Tracks in mulitple tempos will help you practice.
- We're gonna add some difficulty…into our batch of tunes here…and jumping in with "Turkey in the Straw."…One of the ideas here with this tune,…for the intermediate level,…is to start thinking about longer streams…streams of eighth notes.…At the heart of flatpicking…is the down-up, down-up, down-up,…just consistent pattern.…And so in the basic version,…it's more a straight-ahead version of the melody.…Now we're gonna start embellishing, and basically staying.…We've got our…(picks guitar)…It's based out of…(picks guitar)…our open G scale version here.…
(picks guitar)…One of the things to do before we jump in here…is get your hands familiar with that,…(strums guitar)…because all these notes we're going to play…to embellish the melody of "Turkey in the Straw,"…are going to come out of the scale form.…I'll just talk you through it, and then I'll play it.…(picks guitar)…There's the first big statement,…and it's all eighth notes up to that last quarter note.…(picks guitar)…The challenge with all that is…all the string changing that's going on,…
Note: This course was recorded and produced by ArtistWorks. We are honored to host this training in our library.
- Intermediate bluegrass guitar techniques
- Intermediate fretting
- Hammer-ons and pull-offs in G, C, and D
- Intermediate rhythm exercises
- Playing intermediate bluegrass tunes
- Opening up the fretboard with expanded scales and chord exercises
Skill Level Beginner
1. Intermediate Right and Left Hand Technique
2. Intermediate Rhythm and Concepts
3. Intermediate Bluegrass Tunes 1
4. Expanded Scales to Open Up the Fretboard
5. Fretboard Expansion Exercises
ArtistWorks and Next Steps1m 15s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.