In this lesson, Mike Marshall walks the students through the challenges of tuning the mandolin. It is especially challenging because the mandolin has 8 strings (two strings for each note), where as the violin (an instrument with the same tuning) has 4 strings.
- Okay, we're gonna talk about tuning the mandolin now.…And somebody once said that…if you play the mandolin for 30 years,…you tune it for 15 and you play out of tune for 15.…(laughs) But, it's true.…It takes a lot to tune a mandolin and get it really right.…As I said earlier, there's two notes for every one.…So you have two E strings, (plucks strings)…two A strings, (plucks strings)…two D strings, (plucks strings)…and two G strings. (plucks strings)…So it's tuned exactly the same as a violin,…but it's twice as hard to tune…because there are all these pairs.…
So there are several ways to go about tuning.…And I'm just gonna march you through them.…Each of them.…'Cause they each have their pluses and minuses.…Of course, a lot of us are using…electronic tuners these days.…And I'm also one of those fellas.…Got my little D'Addario tuner here.…I like it a lot.…It keeps everything at 440.…So you always know that you're getting a 440 pitch…off of that.…But they're not perfect, you know?…And I think that there's a real danger these days…
Note: This course is one of a 4-part series created and produced by ArtistWorks. We are honored to host this training in our library.
- Sitting and standing with the mandolin
- Tuning a mandolin
- Positioning the right and left hands
- Strumming open chords
- Playing two-finger chords and melodies
- Playing beginner mandolin tunes
- Finding minor and moveable chords
- Playing 7th chords
- Playing chop chords
- Picking on the mandolin
Skill Level Beginner
1. Getting Started
2. Right and Left Hand Fundamentals
3. Beginner Mandolin Tunes
4. Theory and Exercises
5. Chops and Picking
ArtistWorks and Next Steps1m 15s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.