How to take 3 basic major chord finger shapes and use them up the neck to expand voicing options all in the key of D. This lesson has an exercise with tablature that gets you expanding your use of the fretboard as you learn to connect shapes up the neck.
- The next exercise we're going to look at here…with these three chord shapes…will be based out of the key of D.…We looked at G's…and so the next sort of important way, I think…to use these is to learn how to see this…out of the key of D.…And again, these are ways I look at the fingerboard,…and basic building blocks of how to approach…playing up and down the fretboard…and so this exercise, I'll talk through it first…and then I'll demonstrate the whole thing in time.…So the first bar.…
And the reason I chose these notes…again, they're sort of all based out of…I showed you how the major scales can apply to these shapes.…So it's just three simple musical ideas…based out of those shapes.…But again, it's more about putting…them all together in time.…And that builds the technique and how to use them.…So, here's the first measure.…And the next one moves up to the A shape.…
Right out of that scale form.…And then the next shape up here,…this F shape again,…now we're moving it way up here for the D.…For the D, there's your high D on the 10th fret…
Note: This course was recorded and produced by ArtistWorks. We are honored to host this training in our library.
- Intermediate bluegrass guitar techniques
- Intermediate fretting
- Hammer-ons and pull-offs in G, C, and D
- Intermediate rhythm exercises
- Playing intermediate bluegrass tunes
- Opening up the fretboard with expanded scales and chord exercises
Skill Level Beginner
1. Intermediate Right and Left Hand Technique
2. Intermediate Rhythm and Concepts
3. Intermediate Bluegrass Tunes 1
4. Expanded Scales to Open Up the Fretboard
5. Fretboard Expansion Exercises
ArtistWorks and Next Steps1m 15s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.