Texturing your voice is another way to really add character to your singing and personalize your sound. Lari goes through many examples and demonstrates a variety of different textures to help tell the story you're trying to tell with your singing. She discusses and demonstrates techniques such as working with more breath, adding grit and growl, manipulating vocal fry, and more.
- The next specific tool of texture…that I want to share with you is the growl.…A growl is a great piece of texture…that is used in rock and roll and country.…A lot of…belting and feisty energetic melodies.…It's great to put that growl on a note,…particularly later in the song.…There's a great example…with a Carrie Underwood song, Before He Cheats.…
She's got a lot of power.…She sings this great, really feisty song…about tearing up her boyfriend's car…because she finds out he's cheating on her…and she sings a great line in her first chorus about,…♫ I took a Louisville slugger to both tail lights…♫ Slashed a hole in all four tires…In the second and third chorus, she adds a growl.…♫ I took a Louisville slugger to both tail lights…♫ Slashed a hole in all four tires…That's the second chorus.…
In the third chorus, I think she does it three times.…♫ I took a Louisville slugger to both tail lights…♫ Slashed a hole in all four tires…She's using a lot of her respiratory musculature.…Her lower abdominals, her intercostal.…
Note: This course was recorded and produced by ArtistWorks. We're pleased to host this training in our library.
- Singing harmony and straight tone
- Crafting your vocal tone
- Using vibrato and messa di voce
- Working with the chest and head voice
- Singing in a low or high register
- Selecting a microphone for live performance and recording
- Understanding the Nashville Number System
Skill Level Beginner
1. Singing Harmony and Straight Tone
2. Crafting Your Vocal Tone
3. Working with the Chest and Head Voice
4. Exploring Vocal Textures and Styles
5. Singing Live
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.