Straight tone is the pure sung voice without added modulations to the notes. In this video, Lari walks through an exercise to develop your straight tone voice by singing a variety of vowel sounds along with a backing track. She coaches the exercise as you sing along with the lesson; this exercise is in the key of C.
- This is an exercise in straight tone delivery.…For the first half, sing with me,…we're going to sing just a pitch,…one at a time on different vowel sounds,…starting with a,e,i,o,u,…and then we're going to do a call and response…where I sing a straight tone…and you sing it back in time over our backing track.…Then the backing track will be available…for you to just practice on your own without me, too.…- [Musician] One, two, three, four.…
(drums)…(ascending notes)…♫ A…♫ E…♫ I…♫ O…♫ A…♫ E…♫ I…♫ O…♫ U…- Now call back to me.…
♫ A…♫ E…♫ I…No vibrato.…♫ O…Nice and straight.…♫ A…♫ E…♫ I…♫ O…♫ U…(guitar playing)…
Note: This course was recorded and produced by ArtistWorks. We're pleased to host this training in our library.
- Singing harmony and straight tone
- Crafting your vocal tone
- Using vibrato and messa di voce
- Working with the chest and head voice
- Singing in a low or high register
- Selecting a microphone for live performance and recording
- Understanding the Nashville Number System
Skill Level Beginner
1. Singing Harmony and Straight Tone
2. Crafting Your Vocal Tone
3. Working with the Chest and Head Voice
4. Exploring Vocal Textures and Styles
5. Singing Live
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.