An understanding of how to communicate through the language of music is a key skill to becoming a complete musician. Here, get a complete crash course in key terms and vocabulary of the music language. Lari breaks down the meanings of several key words having to do with sound, pitch, and melody.
- OK, part one of Speaking the Language of Music,…we're going to have a lot of vocabulary.…We've already used a lot of vocabulary,…just in the first lessons that we've done so far.…And we're going to add to that vocabulary…and use it a lot more and in more depth,…as the course goes on.…So, let's make sure that we're all on the same page,…using the same words, the same vocabulary,…and that we understand those words to mean the same thing,…making sure that we're communicating clearly.…
So, we're going to talk about the meanings…of several words here, having to do with sound,…and pitch, and melody, and we're going to define those…so that we're all on the same page…about what these words mean.…I really like this process, because it, kind of,…deconstructs some of the words that we use all the time…and sometimes we don't really think…about how accurately we're using them.…So, hopefully by the end of this lesson,…you'll have a really crystal clear understanding…of specifically what some of these words…that we use everyday, as singers, mean.…
Note: This course was recorded and produced by ArtistWorks. We're pleased to host this training in our library.
- The history of singing in human culture
- Reviewing the key ingredients needed to be ready to sing
- Understanding your vocal instrument
- Caring for your voice
- Building core strength
- Developing the correct mental approach to singing
- Key terms and vocabulary of the music language
- Using a piano to find the right key