Mike talks about the differences between playing while seated verses standing. He covers the use of his tone guard and gives an example of playing with it on and with it off and the tone that is lost without it. Also he says he normally uses a foot stool to create the angle he wants while seated.
- Hi there.…I'd like to talk a little bit about sitting versus standing…and how the mandolin changes and how to keep it…from changing too much as you go from a sitting position…to a standing, on stage for instance.…Once again, I'll repeat that I do use a footstool…whenever I'm sitting I get the left leg up…so that the mandolin is really at an angle.…And I've noticed that at workshops a lot of people need…to loosen the length in their strap a little bit…in order to get the mandolin to really sit…between their legs, like this.…
But the main thing I like to make sure of is...…(fluid mandolin scale)…is that when I go to a standing position,…things aren't changing that much in terms of the mandolin…because if the strap were really long…it might come down further.…So, you want that thing, the mandolin, to sit…with a relationship that it sits on your chest,…is about the same when you're in the seating position,…as when you come up to the standing position.…
(mandolin flourishes)…And the other thing I use is the tone guard…
Note: This course is one of a 4-part series created and produced by ArtistWorks. We are honored to host this training in our library.
- Sitting and standing with the mandolin
- Tuning a mandolin
- Positioning the right and left hands
- Strumming open chords
- Playing two-finger chords and melodies
- Playing beginner mandolin tunes
- Finding minor and moveable chords
- Playing 7th chords
- Playing chop chords
- Picking on the mandolin
Skill Level Beginner
1. Getting Started
2. Right and Left Hand Fundamentals
3. Beginner Mandolin Tunes
4. Theory and Exercises
5. Chops and Picking
ArtistWorks and Next Steps1m 15s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.