Harmony in singing is the combination of multiple voices that compliment each other melodically. In this video, Lari breaks down how to hear the different voices, and how to start harmonizing with any music you like to sing. Examples are sung and also visually laid out on the piano to help you understand the relationships between the notes as they move through a melody line.
- I want to revisit…that old faithful Mary Had a Little Lamb.…You're familiar with this melody…in a dozen different ways now.…You've seen it played on the keyboard,…you've seen it transposed.…You've become very familiar with it.…We're going to play it in C.…Here's the melody to Mary Had a Little Lamb…in the key of C.…(piano)…So that's the melody.…
And you can see very clearly…each note, every note, is in the key of C.…Every note that's in the melody is…contained in that scaled, the C major scale.…We can create a harmony part to that.…Now, if I just sing it, it will sound…very familiar to you because…you are already familiar with the scale,…all the chords to that song.…(piano)…So I'm going to sing the harmony now…to Mary Had a Little Lamb…and play the melody with the piano.…
(piano and singing)…So what I've done in creating the harmony part…to go with that melody,…I've chosen the next higher note…that's in the chord that the melody is part of.…
So you can see that…(piano)…is all happening,…that part of the melody is all happening in the…
Note: This course was recorded and produced by ArtistWorks. We're pleased to host this training in our library.
- Singing harmony and straight tone
- Crafting your vocal tone
- Using vibrato and messa di voce
- Working with the chest and head voice
- Singing in a low or high register
- Selecting a microphone for live performance and recording
- Understanding the Nashville Number System
Skill Level Beginner
1. Singing Harmony and Straight Tone
2. Crafting Your Vocal Tone
3. Working with the Chest and Head Voice
4. Exploring Vocal Textures and Styles
5. Singing Live
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.