Moonlight Sonata, A Section, Measures 1-4 are first broken down and walked through for the left hand. Notation is overlaid to help you follow along with the lines being taught.
- Let's start by taking a look at the time signature…for the Moonlight Sonata.…You'll notice it's indicated as four, four…which means we'll be counting four quarter notes…for each measure.…Normally we would play two eighth notes…for every quarter note, but a quick look…at the first measure and we can see…we have a lot more than should fit.…Normally in a four quarter note measure…you should have what?…Eight eighth notes, right?…But here we actually have 12, what's going on?…We're creating what we call triplets.…
So in the space of two eighth notes…we're actually going to be fitting three.…In other words, for every beat we're gonna have…three eighth note triplets.…It's a way of fudging the math in music, okay.…So let's take a look at the opening triplets…for this incredibly beautiful piece.…So let's find our first notes.…Remember ew is our bottom g clef staff line note,…as you can see we have two ledger lines…that we need to climb down to find the first note.…
So e, first ledger line down would be c,…next ledger line down would be a.…
Each song is demonstrated at different tempos, so you can slowly increase your pace as you get more comfortable at the keyboard, and overlaid with notation, so you can read each line of music as it's taught. This training builds on the rest of the Piano Lessons series and is designed for all levels of pianists who want to learn to quickly play the music they love.
Note: This course was recorded and produced by ArtistWorks. We are honored to host this training in our library.
- Reading sheet music: staff, bars, notes, rests, and important symbols
- Breaking songs down into sections and lines
- Playing the right hand and left hand separately and together
- Using the damper and sustain pedals
- Performing songs at different tempos
Skill Level Beginner
1. Sight-Reading Exercises
2. Bach, "Prelude in C Major"
3. Chopin, "Prelude in E Minor"
4. Gymnopedie No.1
5. "Moonlight Sonata"
ArtistWorks and Next Steps1m 15s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.