This lesson uses the A Little Study by Schumann as an exercise in reading standard notation to help you build fluency. This is a great exercise to understanding different chord progressions in melodic form. Please use the notation attached to work with the lesson.
- This little study from Schumann…is a great exercise in understanding…different chord progressions in melodic form.…In other words, playing chords one note at a time.…You're gonna be playing and reading notes…in various positions, various types of chords too,…so great reading exercise.…I'd like to see how you do,…and make sure you incorporate the pedal while you play.…It'll sound so much better.…Just remember when you're using the pedal with fast notes…like you'll be doing here in this piece,…hold at least the first two or so notes in the left hand,…pedalize them, hold them longer so that your pedal…has a chance to catch them.…
Don't just let your first notes off,…otherwise you'll have a lot of hiccups in your sound.…Also be careful when reading the accidentals.…E sharp is the same as F natural,…so whenever you see a natural, a white key note…that has a sharp and there's no black key next to it,…just go to the very next white key, okay?…So those are some clues for you.…I look forward to seeing how well…you can read this on your own.…
Each song is demonstrated at different tempos, so you can slowly increase your pace as you get more comfortable at the keyboard, and overlaid with notation, so you can read each line of music as it's taught. This training builds on the rest of the Piano Lessons series and is designed for all levels of pianists who want to learn to quickly play the music they love.
Note: This course was recorded and produced by ArtistWorks. We are honored to host this training in our library.
- Reading sheet music: staff, bars, notes, rests, and important symbols
- Breaking songs down into sections and lines
- Playing the right hand and left hand separately and together
- Using the damper and sustain pedals
- Performing songs at different tempos
Skill Level Beginner
1. Sight-Reading Exercises
2. Bach, "Prelude in C Major"
3. Chopin, "Prelude in E Minor"
4. Gymnopedie No.1
5. "Moonlight Sonata"
ArtistWorks and Next Steps1m 15s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.